Friday, December 20, 2019

#KCSE (My Story)

"Khai, B... Bi...  Bii... Biii... Matiang'i"

Former Education CS, Dr Fred Matiang'i (2016)

It was unusual saying from Elias, my younger brother. Nervous and tensed, he told me. 

On Thursday 29th December 2016, our KCSE results were released. It took place in Shimo La Tewa Secondary School in Mombasa County away from the usual Mitihani House in Nairobi.
The release was spearheaded by the then "Monkey business" Education CS, Dr. Fred Matiang'i. 

Looking confused, mesmerized, and with full attention on the screen, my mom uttered to me, "B, ni riu." (B, it's now). Tension continued to rise.

"Riu onadukuria?" (now you won't eat?). The same Elias again. He couldn't understand my situation. I only took a sizeable piece of ugali. Dr Nancy Macharia, the TSC Chairperson, gave her speech and commended everyone especially teachers and students for the work well-done. Deeper within me, I just wished that speeches could be exchanged for the short prayer meal. Patience was fading. 

Fortunately, the MC welcomed the Education PS, Dr Belio Kipsang to address the nation. I knew he was a man of few words. No penned down speech. With just his last three words, "Without further ado...," I knew it's time for the great Gusii man to unravel the puzzle.

"Munene ni okira." (the boss has stood). The unsettling Elias again. He didn't know that the ugali piece had already liquefied in the intestines. Guess what I did next...

Education CS began his speech. To break the atmosphere, he began by praising and thanking God for a long but successful year. I partnered him too.

"It's not rocket science... in fact, this year, we contracted a total of 74,810 professionals to work with us in managing KCSE exams," the Education CS announced. I just breath-took and wished that my papers didn't land in the hands of Europeans. You know what I mean?
Mentor Martin (2017)

"This year, we only had 141 straight As," the Education CS announced. "Gosh! I'm done," I just said it to myself. Then, he continued and said that about 15.4% (88,928 students) had a C+ and above. I just  wished that I could even be the bracket in the equation. 

To make matters worse, the Education CS said that there was no any A in English subject in the whole country. Considering that English and I were antagonists, 'I gave up'. But my mom just told me, "Ngai ebere dukamake." (God is with you, don't worry). This encouraged me to continue gawking at the screen.


"Students can receive a short SMS..." I knew it's time. "B, rehe index namba riu," (B, bring the index number now), the same Elias again. In a spur of moment, I received several calls from relatives and friends asking for the same. And I obliged. I had no phone (not even Motorola Droid).

With hours of waiting, patience eroding, I decided to text my friend Mugi (using my mom's Nokia).
Minutes after, he called back and said, "How's Matiang'i?" I recalled almost the same utterance made by my younger brother, Elias, even before the release. "B... Bi... Bii... Biii... Matiang'i." I said to him, "He is good." At least I realized that they were referring to something else, not the 'physical' Matiang'i. He said to me, "Mwanake, wina B+." (Gentleman, you have a B+). I just hang the phone up. But finally I got the results' SMS. Our family, Mom, Elias, and I greatly thanked God and 'Matiang'i'. 

Fortunately, my grade (B+) coincided with my nickname "B". And by the way, my blood group is B+ (positive).

Food for thought here...
Is there power in a name? Can a person's character coincide with the meaning of his/her name? And by the way, do you know the meaning of your name??

On my next blog... (Day 3 after KCSE results).

4 comments:

Thank you. Keep Updated🙏